Sunday, June 29, 2014

What's in my hand luggage? | A few flying tips

Hello everyone!

This time next week I'll be chilling at the beach sipping from a cocktail or two, watching the sun set in Kos, Greece with some of my closest friends. We leave on Wednesday, and as I was taking pictures for this post and my next, the excitement really kicked in; I'm going on my first 'girls holiday' and I couldn't be more excited!

Okay I could be, if it wasn't for my irrational fear of flying and the sea.

Flying is one of those things many people hate, for many different reasons. Me? I don't like being 'trapped', and that's exactly how I feel on a plane as there's no way to get a breath of fresh air- it's not like I can just walk outside! Also, flying over the sea freaks me out a lot. Its just so BIG and never-ending. Even though the odds of dying in a plane crash are 11 million to 1, I can't help but get freaked out a little bit. It'll be fine, just relax.

Today's post, (and Tuesday's for that matter) is unlike anything I have ever done before, so this might not work and may not be my thing. But they say practice makes perfect, right?


So, what will I be taking with my in my hand luggage on Wednesday? Well, you've came to the right place!


I think I'm a little bit in love with my new handbag! It's a Limited Edition from Primark and cost £20, which seems pretty pricey, but its not just an ordinary bag. It comes with a removable clutch at the front which is great for when we decide to go out, and if you look at the picture on the right, it has the main area, and two sections which can be zipped shut at the front and back for your more valuable possessions- perfect!

Obviously there's my passport -that's a must- as well as my money, EHIC card, digital camera and phone. Again, from Primark I bought a card and phone holder for £4 which I think is great as I won't have to go rooting around my bag for these things. It's also a really great size, not too big, not too small, and It has a small section for money too. Bonus.


I've also included my iPod shuffle rather than my iPod classic as it isn't the end of the word if I lose the shuffle. I've added the most relaxing, calming music I own to keep myself calm throughout the flight. I'm especially excited about the edition of George Ezra's album Wanted on Voyage which has been on repeat since it arrived on my doorstep on Saturday as pre-release. If you haven't already, I highly recommend you listen to the whole album on iTunes for free before its general release at midnight tonight! I'm also bringing a knitted kimono (even though it doesn't go with what I'll be wearing shhh) as a cover up incase it gets a bit chilly- especially on the flight on the way back!

Other obvious things include chewing gum and boiled sweets, a MUST if you get really sore ears while flying like me. Water is also a must as it is VERY important you keep hydrated during your flight. I shall be buying all of these things at duty free.


It's quite a long flight to Greece, so I need to keep myself entertained. Magazines are essential, especially if you want to read all the cheeky celeb goss, and summer styles. I'll also be starting Giovanna Fletcher's You're The One that I Want. I've had to restrain myself from starting this ever since I bought it. I vowed to myself I wouldn't buy it until after exams, which I did, but it's been staring at me, daring me to read it. I read Billy and Me last year, which even though was an easy read, was amazing and made me laugh and cry. From reading reviews of her new book, it seems You're The One that I Want is also an easy read, perfect for a relaxing holiday!


Stupidly I didn't read the allowances for hand luggage on liquid and so will have to buy a new moisturiser to fit in my clear makeup bag, which I will apply at the beginning and after the flight on make-up free skin to keep my skin hydrated as your skin can get really dry and dehydrated when flying. Since the plan is to go out once we land and get to our hotel, I've pack very minimalistic makeup to apply at the end of my flight, just so my face looks a little fresher and 'awake'. I've also included my contact lens case and solution and will be taking my glasses with me, as your contacts can dry up and cause irritation if you wear then while flying.

If you're going on a long haul flight, or a flight lasting more than a couple of hours I recommend you get up and go to the toilet every hour or so, just so you can stretch your legs. Obviously you're going to wear your comfy clothes but sometimes people forget about shoes. Slip on shoes or flip-flops are best for flying: not just to make it easier when going through security, but your feet can sometimes swell when flying and these leave room to allow your feet to remain comfortable if they do swell.

I hope you enjoyed reading and seeing what I will be taking with me in my hand luggage, and I hope my tips (although not many) help you if you are indeed going on holiday or flying this summer.

I'll be back on Tuesday with a summer haul.

Cheerio x

1 comment:

  1. "Magazine's are essential?" :O

    *Magazines!

    #ApostropheNazi

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!