Saturday, July 06, 2013

Working 9 to 5.. what a way to make a living!

Hello Everyone!

This week has been rather busy for me, along with my friend Jess, I've been at the Northumberland Gazette offices for work experience. I went there for work experience in year 10- obviously they didn't put me off too much!

I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, and had much more responsibility than last year! This time round I co-wrote a story for the prom picture special. We also had to make sure we had all of the names correct for the captions which took a lot of time (going to the school and getting them to check the faces with the names on their database!) and interview the prom king and director of learning for year 11.


We also got to create 7 slideshows for the Northumberland Gazette website- so I got to do a bit of print and online journalism- YAY!

On Saturday June 22, The Duchess of Northumberland's daughter Lady Melissa got married to Thomas van Straubenzee at St Michael's Church, Alnwick, meaning there were plentyful pictures of their big day. Princes William and Harry were guests of the wedding, along with Pippa Middleton and Rose Leslie, so it was quite a big event for little old Alnwick.

We made 5 picture slideshows for the event which you can watch here:






We also made a slideshow of pictures for the prom and a slideshow for the Armed Forces Day in Alnwick which you can watch here:


Editing together the slideshows for the website took up the majority of our time during work experience as we had to pay particular attention and precision to the detail. Everything had to be as perfect as we could get it: the captions all had to be in the same place and fade in and out at the right time, the pictures had to transition smoothly, and they had to be in chronological order. This was made twice as difficult with the pictures being in the wrong order and the computer crashing on a number of occasions and deleting the changes we had made.

I really enjoyed my time at the Northumberland Gazette and will continue to write articles for the paper and help them out when I can. The people who work there are absolutely lovely and made it very enjoyable. I learnt a lot about the way the industry works- you have to be very committed and eager to find out news-worthy stories.

My work experience has only made me more confident in wanting a job withing journalism/reporting. However next time, I would quite like some work experience in TV and radio!

Cheerio x 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!